File upload questions
The file upload question type enables online quiz takers to upload a file in their responses. This question format works well in several areas.
- Course work submissions that include uploading essays, pictures, mathematical calculations, and other supporting evidence.
- Uploading resumes and documents during the recruitment and on-boarding process.
- Team building events like pop quizzes or a scavenger hunt.
As part of their online test, respondents can upload websafe files for images, videos, or audio directly from their desktop, tablet, or mobile device. This makes it easy for you to review and grade their work in one place.
This guide provides further information on the following areas:
- File upload settings.
- How to create a file upload question.
- How to view and score the respondents uploaded file on your Analyze screen.
File upload settings
Allowable files: .jpg, jpeg, .bmp, .gif, .png, .mp4, .mp3, .doc, .docx, .txt, .xlsx, .pdf
Respondent messages: Existing text says drop files here but this can be changed on the Theme screen.
Scoring: Due to the nature of this answer, you'll need to manually score the quizzes from your Analyze screen.
Maximum size of files: 15MB . Contact us if you need to ask respondents to upload larger files.
Number of files per quiz: 20
How to create a file upload question within your quiz
This question type is available for FlexiQuiz Premium and Enterprise members.
- From your main FlexiQuiz dashboard, select Create Quiz
- Add a name for your quiz, test, or assessment.
- Press Add Item and select Question from the drop-down menu.
- Next to the Question type, select File Upload
- In the Question field add your quiz question using text, images, audio, GIF, or videos - this can also include instructions for respondents to understand what file type and size of a file that they're able to upload.
Select any extra question settings
Required - require an answer.
Set categories - add this question to a category in your question bank.
Show question feedback - show respondents feedback on the question.
- Press Save
- Finish creating your online quiz.
- Publish and Share.
This is how the file upload question will be displayed to quiz takers.
How to view uploaded files
You can download files one at a time from the Analyze tab - it's not possible to bulk export multiple files at once.
- Go to the Analyze tab.
- Next to the relevant respondent press select action and from the drop-down menu choose view.
- This displays the quiz takers' answers including any uploaded files - press on the file to download.
- Press edit to manually score the question.
- Once you have downloaded the file and scored the question press Save changes
You can edit the score at any time.
Note: Files can be deleted by pressing the cross on the top right-hand side corner of the file. Once a file is deleted it cannot be recovered. To save space on your FlexiQuiz account we recommend you reviewing and deleting files on a regular basis.
Relevant help guides: