Managing question categories
Building a quiz split by category enables you to group questions with similar features such as subject or difficulty level.
Measuring performance by category can help you identify your student's areas of strengths and weaknesses, informing future training needs.
With FlexiQuiz, you can create an online test with questions split by category using the Question bank functionality.
This guide shows you how to make and manage an online quiz that contains question categories.
How to create an online exam, test or assessment with question categories
To start, you'll need to have your test questions assigned to a category within the bank - this guide shows you how to manually add or bulk upload your questions.
- From your main dashboard, press create quiz and enter a name for your content.
- Press Add item
- Select Question bank from the drop-down menu.
- This displays all your question categories.
Pick how many questions from each category that you want to include.
Press select action and press add to quiz from the drop-down menu.
After assigning the question categories, a placeholder will show on your Create quiz screen:
- Set any rules on how you would like to share category results with respondents - see instructions below.
- Configure and Publish.
How to share category results with students
With FlexiQuiz, you can configure the system to display category scores in the following areas of the participants experience;
- The results page.
- Email notifications.
Note! If your assessment or exam is already live, category scores will only be displayed on New quizzes submitted after the preferences have been set.
Follow these simple steps to display test results split by category:
Display the category scores on the results page
- Go to the Configure tab and select Results from the left-hand menu.
- Keep Show results page ticked.
- Next to: results page options, tick the box category scores.
- Finish creating your quiz.
Respondents will now be able to view their score split by category - see example below.
This guide will show you additional options to configure the results page.
You can also add a downloadable PDF that lists all answers given along with a summary of the scores split by category. Follow these steps to add a PDF to the respondent's results page.
- Go to the Configure tab, and choose Results from the left-hand menu.
- Tick the box: Show results page
- Scroll down, and next to results page options tick the box Review answers report - this displays a report on the respondent's results page.
- Tick the box Show category scores - this shows the category scores within the report.
Tick the box Can download PDF.
- Finish configuring your test and publish.
This is an example of the PDF report showing the category scores.
Displaying category scores on email notifications
The email notifications feature instantly sends an email to respondents when they submit their quiz. To include the category scores within this email, you will need to include a PDF of results.
To set up email notifications that include the category scores, follow these steps:
- Select the Configure tab and Results from the left-hand menu
- Scroll down the page and tick the box Show category scores
- Pick Notifications from the left-hand menu
- Tick the boxes next to Email respondent and Include PDF of responses
- Finish editing and publish your online exam or test.
This guide will give you more information about email notifications.
How to analyze results by category
Your account Administrators and Trainers can analyze category scores for the whole test.
To view the category scores for each individual, follow these steps:
- From your main dashboard, find the relevant quiz and press Analyze.
- Next to the relevant respondent, press select action and choose view from the drop-down menu.
This report will display the score and % points split by category.
To view category scores for everyone who has completed the exam or test you've created:
- From the Analyze tab, press the 3 dots.
- Select Extended report from the drop-down menu.
Results for each category are split by:
- Points - number of points the respondent scores.
- Available points - maximum number of points the respondent can score.
- % score - percentage of points scored compared to the total available.
Relevant help guides
Importing questions in an excel file
Create a quiz in collaboration
Ways to share your online quiz