Make a matching quiz in minutes
What is a matching quiz?
A matching quiz consists of two columns. Test-takers need to connect items in the first column with the correct option in the second column.
The first column items are called premises and can consist of words, phrases, images, audio, or even videos. The second column contains the choice of responses where the test-taker needs to select the correct matching item.
This image shows an example of a basic matching quiz:
Matching quiz questions are an excellent way to test the learner's recall knowledge, item association, and organization skills. Matching questions types are also known to be useful for students with low reading ability.
With FlexiQuiz, there are several ways to to add matching questions to your quiz.
- Create a matching quiz with text in both columns using the Matching question type.
- Using the single choice question type.
This guide shows you how to create an online matching test using the single choice question type (dropdown).
How to make your matching test
- Login to your FlexiQuiz account
- From your main dashboard, press Create Quiz and enter a name for your test
- Press Add Item and select Text /Media from the drop-down menu
- Add your question and any instructions so that test-takers understand what is required
- Press Save
- To add your premises and responses, press Add Item and select Question from the drop-down menu
- Next to Question Type, select Single Choice (Dropdown)
- In the Question box, enter the first part of the matching pair - this can be text, an image, video, or audio
- To add the responses, go to the Option boxes and add possible matches, including any distractors
- Check the correct option next to the right match
- Choose how you would like to score the quiz
- Finish formatting the quiz question - select if the questions must be answered before the test is submitted, add the question to the bank, show feedback and randomize answer options
- Repeat steps 6 to 11 to add as many pairs as you would like
- To ensure the premises and responses are in columns, go to the Configure tab
Scroll down the page to Question layout and select Horizontal from the drop-down menu
Important! All questions on your test will be displayed horizontally and not just the matching pair's questions.
- Press Preview on the top right to see how your quiz looks to test-takers
- Finish configuring and publish your online test
FlexiQuiz will automatically score and grade your quiz based on the rules you've set.
Check out this matching quiz to see how it can look to test-takers: Matching quiz
Hints and Tips
- To create a quiz with multiple question types, displayed horizontally or vertically, you can create several quizzes and seamlessly direct students.
- The Fill-in-the-blanks question type can also help you build a matching quiz.
Relevant help guides: