Tracking the participants time taken per page and the whole quiz
With FlexiQuiz, you can view the amount of time your participants spend on each page and the whole quiz.
Viewing the duration participants spend on your quiz can help in a few ways, such as:
- It helps to measure the student's understanding of a subject.
- Any unusual timings can help you identify potential cheating.
This guide shows you how to set up and view the participants time taken per page and the whole quiz.
How to set up and view participants time taken per page
The time limit per page is measured from when the participant enters the page to when they click submit or move to the next FlexiQuiz page.
- If the test taker opens another window or closes the browser the timer continues to run.
- If the test taker moves between questions on different FlexiQuiz pages, the timer pauses and resumes if they return to the page.
To set-up the duration per page option, follow these steps:
- Login to your FlexiQuiz Administrator account. Note! The duration per page cannot be set up by Trainers.
- From the top menu, press Settings and choose General from the left-hand menu
- Check the box include page times
The duration per page is instantly displayed on all quizzes associated to your account.
All Administrators and Trainers, with the relevant permissions, can view the length of time spent on a page using the following FlexiQuiz reports:
- Responses report: Available on the Analyze and Reports screens
- Individual responses: Available on the Analyze and Reports screens
- Email notifications sent to Administrators if a PDF is attached
Viewing the length of time participants spend on the whole quiz
The time it takes a participant to complete a quiz is measured from when the test takers open the first question or text/media page to when the quiz is submitted. The quiz can be submitted in one of three ways:
- The participant submits the test.
- The test is automatically submitted if a time limit is applied and the time allowed expires.
- Admins and Trainers manually submit the quiz on the analyze screen.
To view the quiz duration follow these simple steps:
- Log into your FlexiQuiz account. Administrators and Trainers will need to have the Analyze/report permission selected.
From your main dashboard, choose the relevant quiz and press Analyze
The system will display your analyze dashboard
- Ensure the report type selected is called Individual Summary
- Press the three dots on the right-hand side of the table
- Choose Configure columns from the drop-down menu
- Check the box Duration
- Press Save
The duration a test taker spend on the whole quiz will now be displayed on your analyze dashboard.
You can also view the duration on the following FlexiQuiz reports:
- The responses report: Ensure that the duration box is checked on the Results screen. The duration will be displayed on your reports and any reports shared with test takers.
- Reports: You will need to choose the User report type.
How to share the quiz duration with participants
You have the following options:
- Share the duration for the whole quiz on the results screen
- Display time taken per page on the attached reports
To configure your selected option, follow these simple steps:
- Create a new quiz or edit an existing test.
From the Configure screen, select Results on the left-hand menu.
The system will display the results configuration page where you can choose what information is shown on the test-takers results screen.
To display the duration for the whole quiz, check the box, Duration. Timings will show on:
- The participant's results screen.
- Email notifications that contain a PDF report
To show the time taken per page, check the box Show page times. Page times will show on:
- Review Answers report shown on the test takers results screen.
- Plus, any email notifications sent with a PDF report.
The system will automatically save your options. The timings will be added to all participant results that are available on your analyze screen.
To view and compare the quiz duration for multiple test-takers, you can export the data into an excel spreadsheet. Comparing the page time taken per student is a great way to identify if someone has spent an above-average amount of time on a question. Time taken can measure a student's level of understanding or highlight if they could have taken extra time to search for the correct answer.
There could be a time when you share a 'time limited' quiz using Respondent accounts. The Respondent decides to open the test but not submit, and so they close the window.
The quiz timer will continue to run, but the quiz cannot auto-submit as the window is closed. Therefore, if the Respondent returns to the examination later, the test will open and then automatically submit.
All reports will show that the quiz has been completed within the time limit that you set.
You can check that there have not been any technical errors by reviewing the time taken per page. One of the pages will show a considerable duration that reflects the time the test taker opened the page to when the quiz is automatically submitted.
Relevant help guides: