Creating an icebreaker quiz
By Ian, FlexiQuiz.
3 minute read.
An icebreaker game is a great way to help people connect and engage no matter where they are.
These days, there's less opportunity to bond through a quick chat around the water cooler, at the office party or in the school canteen.
Therefore, you may know the practical stuff such as what time people log on, their favorite zoom background or how good they are in their role. But do you know what motivates them?
Whether you're working in the same room or thousands of miles away, it's still crucial that teams get to know each other as people. Creating and maintaining these relationships helps build trust, makes it easier to work together and generates a happy working environment.
You can build exciting and engaging icebreaker games that everyone plays together as part of a virtual or in-person team event.
People can learn surprising facts about their team, class or co-workers that can spark conversation, debate and even friendships.
How it works
Step 1: Research
To start, find out more about your team to help you build the questions for the icebreaker game.
To gather insights, ask your team some fun, entertaining, educational or obscure questions.
- What's your favorite film?
- Which song would you sing at a karaoke night?
- Do you believe in aliens?
- Which languages can you speak fluently?
- Share a picture of your favorite pair of shoes.
- Are you a listener or a talker?
For more inspiration, check out our icebreaker questions.
Once you've got some amazing questions, use a tool such as FlexiQuiz to ask and gather responses from your team.
- Log in to your FlexiQuiz account and from your main dashboard, press Create Quiz
- Choose the classic quiz type that allows respondents to answer the questions at their own pace.
- Pick from 9 flexible question types so that you can easily ask your questions in a suitable format.
- As there are no right or wrong answers, you can remove all scoring. You can also replace the results screen with a custom message on a thank you screen.
- Send an email invitation asking colleagues, friends or students to complete the quiz.
All responses are automatically saved on your analyze screen.
Step 2: Build
Once you have your team's responses, it's super easy to create an interactive quiz that everyone can play together in real-time.
Add some pictures, videos, music, and gifs to bring the quiz to life.
To make the quiz:
- Collate responses from the "research" quiz by downloading the individual responses report on your analyze screen.
Convert your responses into some great questions:
What percentage of the team believe in aliens?
Which three people in this group can speak Italian?
Who is most likely to sing "Sweet Caroline" on a karaoke night?
- Add your questions to live quiz event software such as FlexiQuiz.
- From your main dashboard, press Create Quiz and choose the Live event quiz type.
- Add your questions and highlight the correct answers.
- Configure your quiz. For instance, you can share a custom certificate for people who know their teammates well or award bonus points for the fastest correct answer.
Find out more about building a live quiz event.
Step 3: Play
The online icebreaker quiz can be played virtually, in person or a mix of both. To submit answers, your audience needs only a device that's connected to the internet, such as a smartphone, tablet or laptop.
To invite your team to play, share the unique access code shown on your quiz screen and direct them to flexiquiz.com/live
Your audience can identify themselves with a nickname that fits their character, or you can ask them to provide a real name.
When everyone's ready, press Start Quiz to share your first question.
After every question, players can see if they got the question right or wrong and track their score.
You can track how many people gave which answer and whose top of the leaderboard.
The FlexiQuiz system automatically calculates all the player's scores to find out who knows the most about their team.
Have fun creating an icebreaker quiz for work, school, or just for fun!