Geography questions and answers
By Victoria, FlexiQuiz.
4 minute read.
Do you want to test your geography knowledge or find a way to quiz others?
Either way, a geography quiz is a great way to check who knows their capital cities, major rivers, landmarks, maps and more. Quizzes can help to discover the next Christopher Columbus or identify who needs a little more help to find their way.
Try our awesome geography quiz as a fun way to test your memory and get inspiration for creating your own quiz with FlexiQuiz.
Take quiz >
Ready to make your own quiz? Feel free to use our quiz questions whether testing students' knowledge in a classroom or hosting a zoom quiz.
The questions have been pulled together by our trepid FlexiQuiz explorers who have traveled the world, climbed mountains, swam oceans and researched on Wikipedia to find fun geography questions. You can apply these to any question type - depending on how easy or hard you want to make the quiz.
Check out our quiz questions and answers below.
Questions and answers
Cities are a great place to start a geography quiz as they're exciting and bustling metropolises with many interesting facts that go back thousands of years. Questions can vary from knowing the capital city of a country to exploring their cultures and what makes a city unique.
1. What is the capital of Australia?
Correct answer: Canberra
2. What is the capital of Spain?
Correct answer: Madrid
3. What is the capital of Kenya?
Correct answer: Nairobi
4. What is the capital of Vietnam?
Correct answer: Hanoi
5. What is the capital of the Bahamas?
Correct answer: Nassau
6. If you took a gondola ride along a canal, in which city would you be?
Correct answer: Venice
7. You're about to attend a famous film festival in a city by the Mediterranean Sea. In which city are you?
Correct answer: Cannes
8. If you took a 'black cab,' in which city would you be?
Correct answer: London
9. You're enjoying a beautiful bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridges. In which city are you?
Correct answer: San Francisco
10. Yum! A delicious 'haggis supper' while you sit on Arthur's Seat. In which city are you?
Correct answer: Edinburgh
11. Name the 7 continents of the world.
Correct answer: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, North America, South America, Europe
12. What is the population of planet Earth (as of 15 November 2022)?
Correct answer: 8 billion
13. How many countries does the Equator pass through?
Correct answer: 13
14. Which planet is closest to Earth?
Correct answer: Venus
15. How old is planet Earth?
Correct answer: 4.54 billion years old.
16. Mount Everest lies in which mountain range?
Correct answer: The Himalayas
17. Which is the largest desert in the world?
Correct answer: The Sahara desert in Africa.
18. The Earth comprises three layers: the core, the mantle and the what?
Correct answer: Crust
19. 70% of the Earth's surface is covered in what?
Correct answer: Water
20. At what speed does the Earth rotate?
Correct answer: Around 1,000 miles per hour.
21. What is the most populated country in the world?
Correct answer: India
22. Which country's coastline is famously said to look like a boot?
Correct answer: Italy
23. How many countries are there in Africa?
Correct answer: 54
24. Is Turkey in Europe, Asia or both?
Correct answer: both
25. Which country's currency is the 'baht'?
Correct answer: Thailand
26. Which country has the longest coastline in the world?
Correct answer: Canada
27. The fictional character Dracula originated from which country?
Correct answer: Romania
28. How many states are there in the USA?
Correct answer: 50
29. Fondue, a dish made of melted cheese, originated in which country?
Correct answer: Switzerland
30. Which country in the world has the most islands?
Correct answer: Sweden
31. The tallest building in the world is in the United Arab Emirates. What is it called?
Correct answer: Burj Khalifa
32. What is the famous tower in Paris called?
Correct answer: Eiffel Tower
33. Egypt is home to one of the world's longest rivers. What is it called?
Correct answer: The Nile
34. Name the famous opera house in Sydney.
Correct answer: Sydney Opera House
35. Lady Liberty in New York is more commonly known by what name?
Correct answer: Statue of Liberty
36. Pisa is home to a famous tower. What is special about it?
Correct answer: It leans
37. What is the world-famous building in Agra called?
Correct answer: Taj Mahal
38. In which American state would you find the Grand Canyon?
Correct answer: Arizona
39. In which South African City would you find Table Mountain?
Correct answer: Cape Town
40. Where in the world would you find Machu Picchu?
Correct answer: Peru
41. What object does a male penguin often gift a female penguin to win her affection?
Correct answer: A pebble
42. Where in the world do you find pandas in their natural habitat?
Correct answer: Southwest China
43. Which animal is famous for being very slow and sluggish?
Correct answer: Sloth
44. What is the tallest mammal in the world?
Correct answer: A giraffe
45. If we describe an animal as an 'amphibian', what does this mean?
Correct answer: It can live on land and in water
46. Are reptiles cold-blooded or warm-blooded?
Correct answer: Cold-blooded
47. Where in the world would you find polar bears?
Correct answer: The Arctic
48. Which animal spends around 90% of its day sleeping?
Correct answer: Koalas
49. Tigers are found in Africa, true or false?
Correct answer: False
50. What is the only mammal that can fly?
Correct answer: A bat
Geography includes many topics, including lands, features, inhabitants and the phenomena of the Earth. As such, there are many exciting questions that you ask your target audience. Add images (such as maps, places or people), videos and sounds to bring your quiz to life.
FlexiQuiz is a flexible online quiz maker that allows you to create custom geography quizzes to engage your audience in the classroom or online.
Explore making your first quiz with FlexiQuiz for free!