Fun Halloween quiz questions
By Charlotte, FlexiQuiz.
10 minute read.
Halloween is a time for getting creative. We decorate our lawns, carve pumpkins, dress up, enjoy sugary candy and play games.
A Halloween quiz is a great game that adds spooktacular fun to your celebrations.
With Halloween fast approaching, our friendly coven of witches has gathered some ideas to help you make the perfect quiz.
Double, double toil and trouble; make a quiz without a struggle.
Halloween quiz themes
Like your Halloween costumes, having a theme for your quiz is a good idea.
From horror movies to Halloween candy, you can choose a theme that will have your audience screaming with delight. Here are some of our favorites!
- Scary literature
- Halloween traditions around the world
- Classic horror movies
- Haunted places
- Halloween candy
- Costume history
- Ghost stores
- Horror TV shows
- Halloween music
- Monster mash-up
- Creepy creatures
- Halloween food and recipes
- Jack-o'lantern art
- Horror movies quotes
- Witches and Wizards
- Halloween history
- Famous villains
- Halloween symbols
- Spooky science
70+ Halloween questions and answers
To help you make a spooktacular quiz, here are a few questions with answers split by theme.
Classic Halloween movies
1. Which classic horror film from 1978 features a masked killer named Michael Myers?
A: "Halloween" (1978), directed by John Carpenter.
2. Which actress played the iconic role of Laurie Strode in the original "Halloween" and reprised her role in the 2018 sequel?
A: Jamie Lee Curtis
3. In the movie "Hocus Pocus," what spell do the Sanderson sisters need to perform to become immortal?
A: The "Life Potion" spell.
4. Who directed the 1993 film "The Nightmare Before Christmas"?
A: Tim Burton
5. Which 1996 horror-comedy film features a group of teenagers who accidentally resurrect a mummy on Halloween night?
A: "The Frighteners".
6. In "Beetlejuice," what is the name of the bio-exorcist who is summoned to scare away the living from the Maitland House?
A: Beetlejuice, played by Michael Keaton.
7. Which 1982 film follows a young boy named Elliot who befriends a stranded alien on Halloween night?
A: "E.T. the Extra Terrestrial."
8. Which 2012 animated film tells the story of a young boy named Norman who can see and speak to ghosts on Halloween?
9. Who directed the 1999 supernatural horror film "The Sixth Sense"?
A: M. Night Shyamalan
10. In the animated film "Monster Family," a family is turned into which classic Halloween monsters?
A: The Wishbourne family is turned into vampires
11. Which friendly ghost stars in a 1995 film where he befriends a lonely human girl?
12. Which animated film features a young vampire girl who dreams of becoming a normal human being?
A: "Hotel Transylvania" features Mavis, a young vampire girl who dreams of becoming a normal human being
Halloween traditions around the world
Respondents need to guess if the following statements are true or false.
1. Halloween has its origins in Ireland.
A: True. Halloween, or Samhain, originated in Ireland over 2,000 years ago.
2. In Mexico, Halloween is celebrated with a holiday called "Dia de los Muertos" (Day of the Dead).
3. Halloween is a national holiday in Ireland, where it originated.
4. In China, people celebrate Halloween with a holiday called "Teng Chieh."
5. In Germany, people carve turnips instead of pumpkins for Halloween.
6. In Romania, Halloween is celebrated as a national holiday with parades and fireworks.
7. In Mexico, it is believed that the spirits of deceased loved ones return during Day ot the Dead.
8. In Italy, Halloween is often associated with a celebration called "Ognissanti" (All Saints' Day).
A: True. Halloween is sometimes overshadowed by the Italian holiday of Ognissanti, which falls on November 1st.
9. In Sweden, All Saints' Day is a quiet, reflective holiday when people visit cemeteries to honor the deceased.
10. In France, Halloween is primarily celebrated in the region of Brittany.
Halloween song lyrics
Respondents must fill in the missing word from these popular spooky songs.
1. "This is Halloween, this is Halloween, ____ scream in the dead of night." - the song "This is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
2. "They did the mash, they did the monster mash, the monster mash, it was a graveyard ___" - the song "Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Picket.
3. "Ghostbusters! If there's something ____ in your neighborhood, who you gonna call?" - song "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr.
4. "It's close to ____, and something evil's lurking in the dark." = song "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.
5. "Spooky, scary skeletons send ____ down your spine" = song "Spooky Scary Skeletons" by Andrew Gold.
6. "It's time to jump to the ____, and then a step to the right." = song "Time Warp" by Rocky Horror Picture Show.
7. "They're creepy and they're ____, mysterious and spooky, They're all together ooky..." = song "The Addams Family Theme Song" by Vic Mizzy.
8. "In the cool of the evening, when everything is getting kind of ____" = song "Spooky" by Classics IV.
Freaky Halloween foods
1. What are the primary ingredients in candy corn?
A: Corn syrup, sugar and confectioner's wax.
2. Which Mexican candy is often associated with Day of the Dead celebrations?
A: Sugar skulls (calaveras de azucar).
3. Which Halloween dessert is made with crushed chocolate cookies, cream cheese and gummy worms?
A: Dirt Cake.
4. In which country is it a tradition to eat a special cake called "Barmbrack" on Halloween?
5. Which food is used to ward off vampires?
6. Is a pumpkin a fruit or vegetable?
7. What do pumpkins grow on?
8. What would you traditionally bob for at parties?
9. Which trendy Halloween candy was named after a horse?
10. What was Candy Corn originally called?
A: Chicken Feed.
Players must select the correct response from various options. This works well with our single-choice question type.
1. In which European country did the tradition of carving Jack-o'-lanterns originate?
A: England, Scotland, Germany, France.
2. In which country did the tradition of wearing costumes on Halloween originate as a way to confuse evil spirits?
A: Egypt, Greece, Italy, Scotland.
3. What is the name of the famous haunted house attraction in Disney theme parks?
A: Haunted Hotel, Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Spooky Mansion.
4. Which famous magician died on Halloween in 1926, though some believe he may have faked his own death?
A: Harry Potter, Harry Styles, Harry Houdini, Harry Truman.
5. What is the term for the fear of spiders, a common Halloween decoration?
A: Arachnophobia, Spookophobia, Cobwebitis, Halloweenia.
6. What is the name of the Addams family's butler in "The Addams Family" series?
A: Igor, Fester, Lurch, Gomez.
7. Which mythical creature is known for transforming into a bat?
A: Witch, Warewolf, Cats, Vampire.
8. What do you call a group of witches?
A: A coven, A spell, A hex, A broomstick.
9. What do you call a fear of Halloween?
A: Spookophobia, Halloweenia, Trick-or-treatitis, Samhainophbia .
10. What do kids say when they go trick-or-treating?
A: "Happy Halloween!", "Trick or Treat!", "Give me candy!", "boo!".
TV Witches and Wizards
Players must select whether these statements are true or false.
1. "Bewitched," Samantha Stevens is a witch married to a mortal man named Darrin. - True
2. In the TV show "Charmed," the Halliwell sisters are all witches with unique magical powers. - True
3. The TV series "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" features a young witch named Sabrina Spellman who lives with her two witch aunts - True
4. In "Wizards of Waverly Place," the Russo family are wizards living in Texas. - False
5. "Teen Witch" follows the story of a teenager who discovers she is a witch on her 16th birthday. - True
6. The TV show "The Addams Family" features Mary Baker - False
7. In "The Magicians," Brakebills University is a school for young witches and wizards to learn magic. - True
8. In "The Originals," Davina Claire is a powerful witch. - True
9. In the TV show "Merlin," the character Marvin is a wizard who assists King Arther - False
10. In "Once Upon a Time," the Evil Queen, Regina, uses dark magic as a witch. - True
Players need to correctly guess the name of the Halloween costume based on the description. This question works well with fill-in-the-blanks or matching text question types.
1. What is the traditional costume often associated with Halloween that features a pointed hat and broomstick?
2. Which iconic Halloween costume is known for its white sheet with two holes for eyes?
3. Which famous superhero costume includes a red cape and an "S" emblem on the chest?
4. Which costume often includes a tutu, wing and a wand and is inspired by magical creatures?
A: A Fairy
5. Which costume involves a white lab coat, wild hair and a penchant for scientific experiments?
A: A mad scientist
6. Which historical figure is a popular choice for Halloween costumes, often depicted wearing a stovepipe hat and a long black coat?
A: Abraham Lincoln
7. What type of costume features a cape and is known for its association with Gotham City?
8. Which costume often includes a colorful wig, oversized shoes and a red nose?
9. Which costume is known for its feathered wings and halo, symbolizing an angelic figure?
10. What type of costume is a popular choice for Halloween that involves dressing up as a deceased person and using makeup to create a decaying look?
How to make a Halloween quiz
It's quick, easy and fun to make a Halloween quiz.
- Generate some questions. We've shared a few ideas above, or you can use AI tools such as ChatGPT.
- Login to your FlexiQuiz account and choose to make a classic or live quiz.
- Add your questions with any answer options. Don't forget to identify the correct answers so that the FlexiQuiz system can auto-grade your quizzes.
- Add some Halloween styling to your quiz. On our paid plans, you can change colors, add background images, change text and more.
- To create healthy competition, you can customize the grading and share Halloween certificates.
- Share your quiz.
- Analyze results to find out who knows their wizards from their witches.